Complex Systems Discussion Group

Forgot Password
 Register now

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

Search
View: 16783|Reply: 3

Cell fate conversion-Stochastic or determinisitc?

[Copy Link]

Threads

Credits

Newbie Member

IP  162.105.249.210

Posted at 2013-9-24 04:46:36 | All floors |Read mode

This post contains more resources

You need to Login Before they can download or view, Not have an account?Register now

x

Threads

Credits

IP  169.230.105.4

Posted at 2013-9-24 06:34:13 | All floors
Last edited by zhiyuanli In 2013-9-24 06:35 Editor

Very interesting question and I'm also curious about it.
For my mind, the answer is case-specific: under certain conditions, it is deterministic; otherwise it is stochastic with certain probability of cell fate switching.

However I do think most people outside of the field needs more background information...
给我一块二向箔,清理用

Threads

Credits

Newbie Member

IP  162.105.60.102

Posted at 2013-9-24 14:34:34 | All floors
I'm wondering if it were deterministic, what would be the meaning of it? Is deterministic better than stochastic in some cases?

I remember there was paper talking about the cell fate of bacillus subtilis. It is randomly distributed among population, but the destination of a certain cell is deterministic.

If so, as we discussed last Saturday, it should be considered as stochastic.

However, I have no idea how to test it either experimentally or theoretically.
Working makes you tired; thinking drives you crazy!

Threads

Credits

IP  169.230.105.4

Posted at 2013-10-10 14:56:34 | All floors
Here are some figures that might help to illustrate the mathematical pictures of "stochastic" and "deterministic" of cell fate transitions:

Figure1. Map cell fates into attractors.A. a coarse-grained view of cell-fate-controlling Gene Regulatory Networks(GRNs). B. a demonstration of rate equations for cell-fate related genes; C. ademonstration of the state space of gene expressions under one set of parameters;D. an intuitive picture of attractor landscape.

Figure 2. Three basic topologies forcell fates transitions. First row: Basic topologies of fate-decisions. Secondrow: State space of corresponding topology under certain parameter set. Bluedots are attractors, and red arrows are typical trajectories on state space.Third row: Bifurcation diagrams for corresponding topologies. Blue lineindicates attractor positions under different parameters, and blue-dash lineare attractor basin boundaries. Red trajectories indicate the changingdirections of cell states under increasing parameter. For B and C, thebifurcation diagram are under perfectly symmetric parameters. Fourth row:Bifurcation diagram under perturbed parameters.

Figure3. Two pictures of cell fate transition. A. Multi-attractor switching wherecell fate transition is represented by switching between different attractorsunder the same external conditions; B. Parameter induced bifurcation where cellfate transition is induced by changed attractor-landscape under shiftingexternal stimulus. Path 1 and Path 2 refer to two possible ways the landscapegradually changes. C. a representation of the Stochastic model in inducedpluripotency: two attractors co-exist on the same landscape, and cell statesfluctuate to gain the probability of entering the pluripotency attractor fromthe somatic attractor. D. a representation of the Elite model in inducedpluripotency: cells are in different parameter regions, with most of themstaying in the somatic-attractor-only landscape while a small fraction locatingin the pluripotency-favored attractor landscape. Different colors indicate differentattractor landscapes the cell states locating in.

This post contains more resources

You need to Login Before they can download or view, Not have an account?Register now

x
给我一块二向箔,清理用
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

This forum Credits Rules

Mobile ver.|Darkroom|Complex Systems Discussion Group

GMT+8, 2018-1-21 20:36 , Processed in 0.064523 second(s), 22 queries .