View: 2874|Reply: 6

[Challenge Topic] controlling the population of cells

[Copy Link]

Threads

Credits

Registered member

IP  162.105.160.226

Posted at 2012-5-11 16:38:59 | All floors |Read mode
Microbes can sense the population then secrete some moleculars to control their population. Can we design a system which can sense the environmental signals and control their populations as we expect? that will be important if we can control the populations of microbes in our gastrointestinal tract

Threads

Credits

Newbie Member

IP  211.71.49.177

Posted at 2012-5-11 20:53:44 | All floors
Hello,I think as for this topic there is one problemnly consulting literature may be not enough, we still need to do some biological experiments to study.For example,perhaps we need to study the effects of some chemicals.

Threads

Credits

Newbie Member

IP  162.105.160.109

Posted at 2012-5-11 21:07:33 | All floors
Hello, I have a question about the problem. If you have successfully designed the system, how to make the bacteria in our tissues behavior as we expect? Their population growth may be quite different from the designed mechanism.

Threads

Credits

Registered member

IP  162.105.160.35

Posted at 2012-5-13 23:32:51 | All floors
Reply tqli Add Thread

To my knowledge, some quorum sensing mechanisms play a central role in controling the population size

Threads

Credits

Registered member

IP  162.105.160.226

Author| Posted at 2012-5-14 09:38:25 | All floors

To my knowledge, some quorum sensing mechanisms play a central role in controling the p ...
ShaoBin replied at 2012-5-13 23:32

that's right. so we need to find out all the sensing mechanisms first as well as the chemicals signals. then we can construct a network and  simulate the populations of different microbes.

Threads

Credits

Registered member

IP  162.105.160.226

Author| Posted at 2012-5-14 09:57:22 | All floors
Reply ziwei Add Thread

when I said controlling their populations as we expect, I mean we can change the enviroment signals influx. If we have made a network which contains the populations of different microbes and the signals controlling their populations, we may be aware of which signals can be change.

The question you doubt is an important issue in synthesis biology. Many systems do not act as we expects when we put a pathway in the engineering organisms. So there is another topic in this workshop -- "MANAGING STRESS FROM ENGINEERED METABOLIC PATHWAYS" .

Threads

Credits

Registered member

IP  162.105.87.156

Author| Posted at 2012-5-20 09:23:29 | All floors
abstract for this article "Density-dependent fitness benefits in quorum-sensing bacterial populations” :
It has been argued that bacteria communicate using small diffusible signal molecules to coordinate, among other things, the production of factors that are secreted outside of the cells in a process known as quorum sensing (QS). The underlying assumption made to explain QS is that the secretion of these extracellular factors is more beneficial at higher cell densities. However, this fundamental assumption has never been tested experimentally. Here, we directly test this by independently manipulating population density and the induction and response to the QS signal, using the opportunistic pathogen Pseudomonas aeruginosa as a model organism. We found that the benefit of QS was relatively greater at higher population densities, and that this was because of more efficient use of QS-dependent extracellular “public goods.” In contrast, the benefit of producing “private goods,” which are retained within the cell, does not vary with cell density. Overall, these results support the idea that QS is used to coordinate the switching on of social behaviors at high densities when such behaviors are more efficient and will provide the greatest benefit.

that's significant if we can find all the papers aboout the communicational signal molecular in controlling the cell population, and make up a network to predict different flux in different environment.
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

This forum Credits Rules

Mobile ver.|Darkroom|Complex Systems Discussion Group

GMT+8, 2018-10-15 05:23 , Processed in 0.079499 second(s), 22 queries .